Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Where did the time go?

John Hendler
Chronicle Editor

Well, it’s another year to check off the calendar.
2008 is just about history, caput, gone. Put a fork in it.
The fat lady has sung, at least for this go ‘round.
As you can see, we at the Chronicle have given our readers a recap on the past year.
And as you can see, there were a lot of stories to write about.
Boy, do I have writer’s cramp.
As I looked through the back issues from the past year, I couldn’t help but think, “I wrote that?”
I mean, “I wrote all that?”
Partly because of my rapidly approaching middle age and also because of the sheer number of articles I’ve written, I look back in wonder and amazement of what I did this past year because a lot of it I don’t remember writing.
But thanks to the newspaper, I can see and read all that I had forgotten.
All the stories, all the pictures, all the drama, I was there.
Thankfully I have this newspaper to document what I’ve done, because up to my own devices, I have yet to chronicle my life.
I’ve never keep a journal or a diary, but at the start of every year, without fail, I buy a journal, determined that this will be the year.
But, alas, it turns into nothing more than an expensive pad of scrap paper, where I jot down little reminders, phone numbers and drawings that I fondly call art.
So, here we are at the end of another year and for 2009, I’m determined to keep a journal of my days, which by the way, total 16,338 as of today.
That’s a lot of days to do a lot of great things, but if pressed, I can truly remember what I did on maybe 100 of those days or .006 percent of my life.
As is the case for a lot of us, a New Year means new resolutions that last a few weeks.
Instead of resolutions, I’ve heard that if you speak of your goals in the present tense, you have a greater chance of achieving those goals.
For example, instead of me saying I’d like to lose 30 pounds, I should proclaim that I weigh 180 pounds.
Okay, 190 pounds.
Instead of saying that I want to be a better friend, I should state that I am a great friend already.
And instead of wanting to keep a journal, I should say that I write an entry into my journal everyday.
Hey, fake it ‘til you make it.
At any rate, we here at the Chronicle will continue to do our very best to keep you informed and entertained about the comings and goings of Marshall and the surrounding area.
I wish you all a happy, peaceful 2009.
Until next year, may the good news be yours.

No comments: